Without the entry into the Second World War of the USA in 1941 there would have
been no airfield at Tibenham and consequently no gliding club on this site.
The American Eighth Air Force was formed in January 1942, but the build up in
England was quite slow due to the need to construct the necessary airfields on
which to operate from. Ultimately the Eighth Air Force occupied 18 Norfolk
airfields, including the one constructed at Tibenham between 1942 and 1943. It
wasn't until the autumn of 1943 that the aircraft of the 445th Bomb Group
finally arrived, their mission, precision daylight bombing of targets in
Germany in support of the night bombing activites of the Royal Air Force.
The 445th launched it's first daylight bombing mission on 4th November 1943. In
total the 445th flew 280 missions and 6,323 sorties. 576 airmen were killed in
action and a total of 138 bomber aircraft were lost. Their final mission was
carried out on 25th April 1945 and by 28th May 1945 the crews and their
aircraft had flown back to the USA.
The airfield is thus a memorial to all of the US airmen of the 445th Bomb Group
who lost their lives during the Second
World War. It continues to be a place of pilgrimage for the relatives of those
airmen who served at Tibenham and a number visit the site each year.
In July 1945 the Royal Air Force took over the airfield and in 1952 the RAF sold off
parts of the airfield to local land owners. In 1955 the main runway was
lengthened to take jet aircraft but no units were assigned to the base.
Tibenham was finally closed as an air force base in 1959, but the Norfolk Gliding Club was formed
and paid rent to the Air Ministry for the use of the Airfield.
PLEASE NOTE: As our Second World War heritage is so important to the club and to the
world in general we are developing a web site celebrating the achievements of
the 445th BG and to make sure that the sacrifices made by so many are not
In 1962 the Air Ministry sold the airfield to a local farmer. For
the next 25 years there was an uneasy relationship between the club and the
farmer. Rent was always paid annually in arrears and there were frequent notices
to quit which were the subject of appeals. Hangars were sold and other
buildings were demolished. The control tower was used as a clubhouse.
In 1974 water supplies were secured but the landlord was eroding the site by the
demolition of the control tower, then digging up and sale of the dispersals and
perimeter track. A regular Sunday market was started on the airfield with
consequential operational and safety problems. However, the club acquired a
second single seat glider and placed an underground fuel store on land leased
from another farmer. Efforts were made during the next few years to buy parts
of the airfield but these efforts were refused.
By 1985 the use of the airfield
as a Sunday market had been stopped by the local authority and planning
applications to use the airfield for other purposes had all been refused but
the landlord was allowing parts of the runways to be dug up and sold for
hardcore. After lengthy and strained negotiations the club purchased in 1987 32
acres of concrete and 22 acres of arable land at a total cost, including fees
and stamp duty, of £209,500. The club had, at the time, an airfield purchase
fund of £72,000. The balance of the funds was raised from the local authority,
from former members of the 445th Bomb Group and from club members through
donations and low interest loans.
In 1990 the remainder of the airfield was
offered for sale. Although not all of this land was required for the club's
operations, purchase by a third party could have curtailed or stopped flying.
Buyers were found for some areas of agricultural land but the net cost of this
purchase to the club was £201,000. This sum was raised by low interest loans
from 2 club members, repayable over 7 years. The purchase included 2
agricultural buildings, which were dismantled and rebuilt as an additional
hangar for powered aircraft and motor gliders.